0

Bus evacuated after fire in exhaust

LAWRENCEVILLE - A bus driver and passenger were evacuated from a Gwinnett County Transit bus when a failed turbocharger caused fire to come out of the vehicle's exhaust.

The incident occurred at about 11:40 a.m. while the bus was traveling along a local route on Best Friend Road.

Transit Director Phil Boyd said the flame did not affect the bus, although it had to be towed because of the failed part.

Boyd said he believed the county had resolved issues related to a series of bus fires in 2006 and 2007, but turbochargers occasionally fail.