Thursday, March 26, 2009
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
Fire damages quadraplex
LAWRENCEVILLE - An early afternoon fire in the 800 block of Yorkshire Lane damaged a quadraplex unit, officials said.
Firefighters responded to a report of a kitchen fire at about 1:36 p.m. where they made immediate entry after noticing light smoke showing from the two-story structure, Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said. The blaze caused heavy damage to the kitchen and sent smoke throughout the unit, despite being contained to the stove and cabinets area.
Rutledge said the fire appears to be accidental and likely originated from food on the stove.
No one was injured.
Potential chemical spill forces street to close
LAWRENCEVILLE - The 300 block of North Clayton Street at Born Street was temporarily closed Wednesday after reports of a possible chemical spill.
Firefighters responded to the call at about 3:17 p.m. to find a 55-gallon drum of non-hazardous material had turned over inside a delivery truck and spilled onto the roadway.
The material - liquid used in the printing industry - posed no immediate threat or environmental hazard, according to firefighters from the department's Hazardous Materials team. As a precaution, the Environmental Protection Division was called in. A clean-up company arrived and the roads remained closed until all the material was removed, Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.
The fire department cleared the scene at 4:52 p.m.
No evacuations and no injuries were reported, Rutledge said.