Police: Woman handcuffed self to husband, bit him

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A woman attempting to reconcile with her estranged husband handcuffed herself to him as he slept and then bit him on his torso and arms as he phoned for help, police said.

Helen Sun, 37, told police she wanted to have a conversation with Robert Drawbaugh without him leaving. She changed the locks on their bedroom door and, while he was sleeping Monday, handcuffed herself to him, authorities said.

Drawbaugh was able to dial 911 from his cell phone. Nearly out of breath, he told dispatchers he woke up handcuffed, was still bound to his wife and was holding her down, according to a recording released by police. Dispatchers heard Drawbaugh scream in agony, apparently as his wife bit him.

Asked by dispatchers why his wife was attacking him, Drawbaugh said he divorced her. He also said she has a history of violence.

Fishing boat sinks off NJ; 2 dead, 4 missing

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - A fishing boat sank in rough seas off New Jersey on Tuesday morning, killing two people and leaving four missing in the icy ocean as relatives gathered at the water's edge to pray for their safe return.

The Lady Mary, a 71-foot scallop boat based at Cape May in southern New Jersey and owned by a North Carolina man, sank at about 5 a.m. with seven people aboard about 75 miles off the coast.

Only one crew member was conscious and alert when he was plucked with two others from the water by a helicopter. Two helicopters, an airplane and two boats swept a 225-square-mile area of the Atlantic Ocean for the remaining people.

Transit mechanic shoots two, is killed by police

SAN DIEGO - A mechanic at a bus depot in downtown San Diego shot a co-worker to death and critically injured another early Tuesday before being killed by police, authorities said.

After finishing his shift about 2 a.m., the Metropolitan Transit System worker walked into a lounge area and shouted 'nobody's going to leave' before heading out to a parking lot and firing several shots, police Capt. Jim Collins said.

Arriving officers found a dead man on the ground at the facility and the mechanic holding a handgun at his side. He ignored repeated demands to drop the weapon and used his other hand to make a cell phone call, Lt. Kevin Rooney said.

'When the call ended, he started to raise the gun at the officers and they shot him,' Rooney said.

Group: Death shows risks of using Tasers

DETROIT - Amnesty International criticized police in Michigan on Tuesday for using a Taser to subdue a 15-year-old boy who died shortly afterward, saying it illustrates the dangers of the electroshock weapon.

Bay City police said an officer used a Taser on Brett Elder on Sunday because he tried to fight with them. The teen would have turned 16 on Tuesday.

Amnesty International's London office issued a statement Tuesday saying the death 'reinforces the need for greater caution' before Tasers are distributed more widely.

4.8 earthquake hits California near Salton Sea

BOMBAY BEACH, Calif. - A moderate earthquake struck Tuesday on the edge of the Salton Sea in Southern California's Imperial County, but there were no immediate reports of any injuries or damages.

The magnitude-4.8 quake struck at 4:55 a.m. at a depth of about 3.5 miles, said seismologist Amy Vaughn of the U.S. Geological Survey. It was centered two miles south of the small town of Bombay Beach on the eastern shore of the Salton Sea, about 90 miles east of San Diego.

The main quake was followed by at least 18 smaller aftershocks.

Former Okla. sheriff gets 79 years for abuse

OKLAHOMA CITY - A former western Oklahoma sheriff was sentenced to 79 years in prison Tuesday for using his power over female drug court defendants to force them to have sex with him.

Former Custer County Sheriff Mike Burgess, 56, apologized to two victims but maintained that he was innocent of allegations that he had also abused others. Defense attorney Steve Huddleston described the sentence as 'way too harsh' and said an appeal is planned.