The National Merit Scholarship Corp. recently announced that 14 Gwinnett County Public Schools graduates received a college-sponsored scholarship because of their high school academic performance. The students are part of a group of more than 2,800 who earned the honor.
The scholarship winners represent six different Gwinnett high schools - Brookwood, Collins Hill, Duluth, Norcross, North Gwinnett and Parkview. They each have earned a scholarship worth between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
This year's Gwinnett honorees are:
· Jeffrey D. Angell, North Gwinnett - National Merit Brigham Young University Scholarship
· Caroline E. Bass, Parkview - National Merit Emory University Scholarship
· Grayson W. Baum, North Gwinnett - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· Glenn R. Branscomb, Parkview - National Merit University of Georgia Scholarship
· Amanda P. Cameron, Brookwood - National Merit Auburn University Scholarship
· Daniel L. Cook, Collins Hill - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· Mark L. Dunn, Brookwood - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· David L. Hedrick, Parkview - National Merit Auburn University Scholarship
· Matthew J. Howard, Norcross - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· Angela R. Kamino, Brookwood - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· Xinyi Li, Duluth - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· Hope H. Rogers, Parkview - National Merit University of Georgia Scholarship
· Siddhartha Datta Roy, Parkview - National Merit Georgia Institute of Technology Scholarship
· Diandian Tang, Parkview - National Merit Emory University Scholarship
Each sponsoring college or university selected its scholarship winner from among the finalists in the 2009 National Merit Scholarship Program planning to attend their institution.
More than 1.5 million students entered the competition last school year as juniors by taking the 2007 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, which served as the initial screening for program entrants. The highest scoring participants in each state were then selected as semifinalists. Finalists were then selected by a review of the student's outstanding academic record, scores from two standardized tests, an endorsement/recommendation by the school principal, and a self-descriptive essay and information about their participation and leadership in school and community activities.
Byrd Scholarship winners announced
Additionally, 12 Gwinnett grads earned the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship, which recognizes exceptionally able high school seniors who show promise of continued excellence in postsecondary education.
This year's winners are:
· Caroline Bass, Parkview
· Ryan Gasaway, Mill Creek
· Stanley Guillaume, Brookwood
· Jacob Harward, Dacula
· Sung Jeon, North Gwinnett
· Nicholas Keith, Peachtree Ridge
· Kelly Knowles, Norcross
· Xinyl Li, Duluth
· Clayton Mersmann, South Gwinnett
· Huy Nguyen, Berkmar
· India Pender, Grayson
· Stephanie Rary, Collins Hill
The students were chosen based on outstanding academic achievement during their high school careers. Each will receive a scholarship worth up to $1,500 (renewable for up to three additional years) to be used at any higher education institution they plan to attend.
Good News From Schools appears in the Sunday edition of the Gwinnett Daily Post. For more good news, visit www.gwinnettdailypost.com on Monday.