Gorilla injures 1 during brief escape at zoo

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A 390-pound gorilla grabbed some low-hanging bamboo to scale a wall at a South Carolina zoo Friday, escaping his enclosure and tackling a worker before returning to his pen about five minutes later.

The gorilla at Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens ran into a pizza-stand employee who curled up and played dead to try to avoid further injuries, officials said. The man, who works for Aramark Corp., was taken to a hospital and released a short time later with cuts and bruises.

Zoo executive director Satch Krantz said the worker heard a strange sound, saw the gorilla outside the enclosure and turned to run.

'Then the gorilla did what gorillas do,' he said.

The animal quickly closed the 30-foot gap between them and knocked the worker down. Two minutes later, the gorilla went over another wall and back into his enclosure.

'By then, the gorilla realized he was probably somewhere he shouldn't have been and wanted to go home,' Krantz said.

'Rockefeller' jury rejects man's insanity claim

BOSTON - The man who called himself Clark Rockefeller claimed he was delusional and communicating telepathically with his 7-year-old daughter, who was telling him she was in danger.

In the end, a jury did not believe his claims that insanity drove him to kidnap her from a Boston street and race to Baltimore to a new house he had bought for them.

Rockefeller, a German national whose real name is Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, was convicted Friday of kidnapping the girl during a July supervised visit. He was sentenced to four to five years in state prison.

The jury rejected his defense that he was suffering from a delusional order and felt compelled to 'save' his daughter, Reigh Boss, after he lost custody of her to his ex-wife Sandra Boss. Instead, the jury found that he knew that it was criminally and morally wrong to take the girl away from her mother in violation of a custody order.

DC holocaust museum reopens after shooting

WASHINGTON - Hundreds of visitors streamed into the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum as it opened Friday for the first time since a security guard was shot to death by a man authorities identified as a rifle-toting 88-year-old white supremacist.

The museum, which was closed Thursday for a day of mourning, opened shortly after 10 a.m. Officials said the crowds seemed to be about the same size as usual this time of year.

Many visitors said they were determined not to let the shooting keep them away.

Liz Johnson, 35, led a group of 12 Girl Scouts dressed in lavender T-shirts. The members of the Dallas troop were among the first in line.

'To say that we can't do this because of this event is that man winning,' Johnson said. 'We're not going to let him win.'

Two Mount McKinley climbers fall to deaths

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Two experienced climbers have fallen to their deaths on Alaska's Mount McKinley.

National Park Service rangers recovered the bodies of 39-year-John Mislow of Newton, Mass., and 36-year-old Andrew Swanson of Minneapolis.

The climbers, both doctors, were roped together when they fell Thursday afternoon along Messner Couloir, a steep, hourglass-shaped snow gully on the 20,320-foot mountain, North America's tallest peak.

Park Service spokeswoman Maureen McLaughlin said many factors about the fall remain unknown, including its starting point and whether the climbers were ascending or descending the mountain, which is in Denali National Park and Preserve.

McLaughlin said the men fell at least 2,000 feet.

Plane with 145 on board goes off taxi-way

n FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Allegiant Air said the nose gear of one of its planes ran off a taxi-way at the Fort Collins-Loveland Municipal Airport on Friday, but none of the 145 passengers and crew was injured.

Allegiant spokeswoman Tyri Squyres said the MD-83 landed safely and was taxiing to the terminal when it became stuck at about 10:30 a.m.

Landowners close to deals on memorial

PITTSBURGH - The government is close to reaching a deal with several western Pennsylvania landowners who have property on the site where a Flight 93 National Memorial is to be built, possibly eliminating the need for the National Park Service to seize the land.

Several landowners said Friday that negotiations in the past week have been more productive than the years of talks since Flight 93 plunged into a field in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.