0

Three men indicted in 2006 slaying

LAWRENCEVILLE - A Gwinnett County grand jury handed up murder charges this week against three men linked to the 2006 shooting death of a Lawrenceville man.

The decision marks a speedy prosecution for the suspects, who just last week were named suspects in the murder of Lal Ko, 20.

The suspects - Joseph Diaz, 20, of Oakwood, Miguel Gonzalez-Linares, 20, and Victor Pastor-Flores, 24, both of Norcross - face single counts of murder, according to a bill released Thursday.

Police have arrested Diaz and Gonzalez-Linares in the last week, while Pastor-Flores remains at large.

Ko, the victim, was gunned down Oct. 27, 2006, near the intersection of Oakland and Herrington roads in Lawrenceville after he argued with the suspects, whom he knew, police said.

Gonzalez-Linares ordered Diaz to shoot Lo following the spat, according to arrest warrants.

The case went unsolved for more than two years, until a recently enhanced cold case unit within the Gwinnett County Police Department reopened the investigation.

Vehicular homicide

In a separate case, a Snellville man was indicted on counts of vehicular homicide, driving under the influence and reckless driving that stem from a Jan. 21, 2008, traffic death.

Charles Thomas Smith, 55, is charged with killing his passenger, Patricia Shushtari, 51.

Police said Smith made an unsafe lane change on Snellville's Green Valley Road and lost control of his vehicle, which struck a bank of trees.

Documents show Smith admitted to police he had been drinking but later refused a blood test at an area hospital.

Smith posted $65,700 bond and was released from the Gwinnett County Jail on Feb. 14 last year. His arraignment, wherein he could enter a plea, is expected within a month.