Wednesday, January 28, 2009
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE - The development of the Cedars Road recycling facility has been suspended while the county works on implementing a new solid waste plan.
According to county communications director Joe Sorenson, everything in regard to solid waste and recycling is on hold while the county sorts out the situation created by Judge Michael Clark's ruling last month that kept the status quo for waste and recycling collection in Gwinnett in effect.
"We're not sure if the suspension will be permanent at this point or not," Sorenson said. "Everything is being considered during the current 120-day winding down period with Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful," he said.
That 120-day period began Jan. 1.
Sorenson said the recycling center being rebuilt on Satellite Boulevard after a fire last year is open for haulers to use, and said it will open to the public in three to four weeks. The recovered materials processing facility under construction on Cedars Road is being built to expand recycling options, one of the principles of the now-defunct solid waste plan. When a new plan is adopted, the development could continue, Sorenson said.
"That facility was a big part of the new plan," he said. "But it could be green-lighted as soon as the new plan is implemented."
Under the new solid waste plan, that was ultimately scrapped, the county would have increased its recycling capabilities from the current 7 items to 35. Jack Perko of Robertson Sanitation and Allied Waste Services - now Republic Services - said its customers could already recycle the 35 items that would have been allowed under the new plan. The company, which serves approximately 90,000 households in Gwinnett, is the largest residential trash hauler in the county and is strongly advocating to continue service in Gwinnett under the new plan.
The second of five scheduled trash meetings to implement a new solid waste plan will take place at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center.