Wednesday, January 28, 2009
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
DACULA - A man who improperly fed a kerosene heater with gasoline was burned and hospitalized during a predawn fire that destroyed a Dacula home Tuesday, authorities said.
A passerby spotted the single-story home on Ga. Highway 29, just north of Ga. Highway 316, burning and called 911 at 3:36 a.m. Firefighters found the victim outside the home, which was fully ablaze, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
The fire was controlled about an hour later, but not before the home was destroyed, he said.
The man, who was not identified, was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center with a non-life threatening burn injury, Rutledge said.
"He was conscious and was able to talk to paramedics," Rutledge said.
Rutledge said it was unclear who owns the property and whether or not the occupant was there legally. He had reportedly been staying at the property for the last three weeks.
An investigation continues, but Rutledge said the fire appears accidental.
The incident could mark the third fire caused by space heaters in Gwinnett in as many days, following a pair of residential blazes Sunday. No injuries were reported in the earlier fires.