Va. woman accused in 1967 slaying of 2 dies

RICHMOND, Va. - A woman charged just last month in the 1967 slayings of two co-workers at a western Virginia ice cream shop has died, police said Tuesday.

Sharron Diane Crawford Smith, 61, died Monday night, Staunton Police spokeswoman Lisa Klein said. An official cause of death was not released, but prosecutors had said Smith, who was living in a terminal care facility, had kidney and heart disease.

Smith was charged on Dec. 12 with first-degree murder in the deaths of Constance Smootz Hevener, 19, and Hevener's 20-year-old sister-in-law, Carolyn Hevener Perry.

Mich. police: Boy, 8, spent 10 days with dead mom

ROMULUS, Mich. - An 8-year-old boy lived for more than a week with the body of his dead mother before anyone discovered his situation, police said.

The woman, 41, apparently died Jan. 9 in their apartment in the Detroit suburb of Romulus, and the boy survived in part by eating dried rice, butter and flour, authorities said.

The boy came into Romulus Liquor in recent days wearing pajama bottoms and buying snacks, store owner Sam Saco told The Detroit News.

Saco said his brother Lee, the store's co-owner, became suspicious Monday when the boy tried to buy soda, flour and doughnuts with his mother's expired credit card.

Fla. trial set for 2 priests accused of stealing money

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - Two priests who authorities said for years stole cash from their Florida church's offering plate and hid it in the church ceiling and offshore bank accounts to pay for lavish lifestyles will soon face a judge.

Their trial is scheduled to start today in an embezzlement case authorities say could be one of the biggest to hit the U.S. Catholic Church.

Before prosecutors could charge them with stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from St. Vincent Ferrer Catholic Church, the Rev. Francis Guinan and Monsignor John Skehan fled the country in 2006, leaving their parishioners amid an international scandal.

Racine, Wis., mayor resigns after sex-sting

MILWAUKEE - The mayor of Racine, Wis., resigned on Tuesday, days after being accused of trying to arrange a sexual encounter with someone he thought was an underage girl.

Mayor Gary Becker resigned, effective 5 p.m. Tuesday, in a one-sentence letter.

His attorney, Patrick Cafferty, said Becker decided to resign because 'it was in the best interest of everyone involved.' He said his client intends to plead not guilty to all charges during a Feb. 10 arraignment in Racine County Circuit Court.

The City Council had planned to meet Tuesday night to begin the process of removing Becker from office.

Man pleads not guilty to Hudson family killings

CHICAGO - A man accused of killing three members of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson's family in Chicago has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder and home invasion.

William Balfour entered his plea Tuesday at Cook County Criminal Court in Chicago. Before doing so he nodded to members of his family in the courtroom.

Balfour is the estranged husband of Jennifer Hudson's sister, Julia Hudson. He's accused of killing their mother, brother and Julia Hudson's 7-year-old son in October.

NC man gets $35,000 for Bush library domain

RALEIGH, N.C. - Web developer George Huger says he turned $5 into $35,000 when he bought the expired Internet domain name for former President George W. Bush's presidential library and then sold it back.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports Tuesday that Huger was searching through a list of expiring domain names two years ago when he noticed the Web address was about to expire.

He bought the rights for $5, then sat on them for two years.

Huger said he recently sold them for $35,000 to Florida-based Yuma Solutions, which the Bush Library Foundation said is in charge of Web site care. Company owner Mark Mills didn't return the newspaper's calls.