0

Man shot at home
Slaying could be first of '09

NORCROSS - A 38-year-old man was gunned down in his Norcross area home early Wednesday, possibly marking Gwinnett's first homicide victim of 2009, police said.

Police found Andres Gabriel Dalessio-Silveria shot multiple times about 12:30 a.m. in his 76 Azalea Drive home, after an anonymous 911 caller reported shots fired in the area, police said.

The victim died later Wednesday morning at Gwinnett Medical Center.

Officers found the front door of the home open, and Silveria lying motionless inside, said Gwinnett police spokesman Cpl. David Schiralli.

Police are following leads to determine a motive for Silveria's slaying. They have no suspects thus far, Schiralli said.

Police urge anyone with information about the killing to contact homicide investigators at 770-513-5300.

The homicide could mark Gwinnett's first of the new year, pending the outcome of an investigation into the death of an infant girl in Buford found lifeless in her playpen Jan. 6, police said.

Police can't say if that case will be classified as a homicide until the cause of death is determined by the Gwinnett County Medical Examiners Office. Those results are pending, police said Wednesday.

The county wide homicide count last year showed a marked decline from 2007, when Gwinnett police agencies tallied a record 50 homicides. The rate dropped by more than 20 percent in 2008.