Chonas Mexican Grill
1820 N. Brown Road, Suite 10, Lawrenceville
· Open since: 2004
· Location: Chonas Mexican Grill is adjacent to Discover Mills Mall just off Sugarloaf Parkway on North Brown Road
· Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays
· Owners: Father-son team Don and Keith Raposo bought Chonas Mexican Grill a year ago from the previous owners and worked in real estate before taking on their first restaurant venture. Keith Raposo takes care of daily operations at Chonas.
· Atmosphere: Chonas offers booth and table seating in a large dining area with burnt orange walls decorated in artwork reminiscent of Mexican culture.
· Menu: Chonas Mexican Grill offers a large menu with a plethora of options, from seafood specials to a make-your-own option. The restaurant also serves soups, salads and wraps, including the popular chicken soup. Other popular items are the Chonas pollo espinaca, a chicken breast topped with cheese sauce with spinach served with rice and Mexican vegetables, and the Sinaloa Beach tacos, three flour tortillas stuffed with a choice of grilled chicken or steak served with rice, pico de gallo, cilantro, fresh limes and tomatillo sauce.
Chonas also offers a blackberry margarita made with fresh blackberries. Wine, beer, soft drinks and juices are also served.
· Things you might not know: At Chonas Mexican Grill, kids eat free on Sundays.
SideBar: On The Menu
· Chonas big dinner - One taco, one enchilada, one chile relleno, one tamale, one chalupa, guacamole, salad, Mexican rice and refried beans, $10.99
· Beer-battered fish tacos - Three beer-battered fish tacos and rice served with pico de gallo, lettuce and chipotle sauce, $8.95
· New York steak - A 10 oz. steak lightly rubbed with chile and spices served with rice Mexican vegetables and charro beans, $12.95