Teen to still face murder charges in Grayson shooting
Detective testifies 17-year-old most likely not the shooter

LAWRENCEVILLE - Murder charges against a Lawrenceville teen will stick though a detective testified he likely wasn't the shooter in a botched drug deal turned deadly Dec. 23.

Omar Falay, 17, was inadvertently shot by an accomplice when they tried to rob two men for drugs and valuables in a Grayson subdivision, testified Gwinnett police Det. Brad Everson in a probable cause hearing Thursday morning.

The shooter, who remains at large, allegedly killed Robert Christopher Morales, 27, as he tried to overtake Falay during the robbery on Hillside Drive, Everson said.

Both Morales and Falay were shot once in the chest. Morales died about 30 minutes later at Eastside Medical Center, while Falay fled to a neighboring subdivision, solicited help and was transported via ambulance to Gwinnett Medical Center. He was arrested there later.

For his alleged involvement in the stick-up, a Gwinnett Superior Court judge bound a felony murder charge against Falay to Superior Court, where a bond hearing is expected later.

Everson testified the drug transaction was to take place in a 1998 Mercedes driven by Eric Comrie, 21. Falay and his accomplice turned the tables from the backseat when they ordered Comrie and Morales out of the car at gunpoint, triggering the scuffle near the passenger door, Everson said.

Police believe the same .45 caliber handgun that killed Morales was used to shoot Falay.

Falay told police he was visiting a girl in the neighborhood when he stumbled upon two men with guns, who asked him what he'd witnessed before opening fire, Everson said.

Comrie, who also faces felony murder charges, identified Falay as one of the black men he'd picked up. Comrie drove his wounded passenger to GMC, where a bag of marijuana noticed by medical staff fell out of his car, Everson said.

The suspected shooter, described by Comrie to detectives as a young black man, 6 feet tall with dreadlocks, fled the scene on foot, Everson said.

Both Falay and Comrie remain at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.