420 Grayson Parkway, Grayson
· Open since: The Grayson Cafe has been serving meals for about 25 years but the business reopened under new owners Jan. 17.
· Location: The cafe is in downtown Grayson in what previously served as the city's post office.
· Hours: 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday
· Owners: Friends since childhood, Brian Little of Grayson, Ken Briscoe of Loganville and Greg Allen of McDonough have realized a lifelong dream of owning a business together. The trio remodeled and then reopened Grayson Cafe together, with Briscoe taking care of day-to-day operations.
· Atmosphere: Order at the counter and have a seat at one of the custom-built Amish tables from Pennsylvania - both regular and high-top - to enjoy your meal surrounded by the green and gold colors of the Grayson High School Rams. A wall behind the order counter proclaims customers are in "Ram Country."
· Menu: What was intended to be a barbecue restaurant has become more of a stop for country cooking, although barbecue and Brunswick stew are still on the menu. The most popular lunch menu item - and the cafe's signature item - is the Grayson dog, an oversized all-beef hot dog on a hoagie. The owners plan to begin offering daily specials of meatloaf, salmon patties, fried chicken, country fried steak and more.
The Grayson dog isn't the only oversized item on the cafe's menu. The cornerstone of Grayson Cafe, according to the owners, is the oversized buttermilk biscuit that anchors the breakfast options, with the country ham biscuit and gravy biscuit topping the list of most popular breakfast items.
· Things you might not know: "We think we're going to be famous for our deep-fried desserts," Little said.
The cafe is offering the Grayson Delight, a chocolate and cream pastry that's deep fried and topped with powdered sugar. Fried pies are also served.
Grayson Cafe also offers wireless Internet.
SideBar: On The Menu
· Breakfast plate - Two eggs, a choice of meat (bacon, sausage, smoke link, country ham, tenderloin, steak or chicken), biscuit or toast and a choice of grits, hash browns or gravy, $4.99
· BBQ sandwich plate - A choice of chicken or pork BBQ served with French fries and slaw, $5.99
· Brunswick stew plate - Bowl of stew served with French fries, slaw and bread, $5.99