LAWRENCEVILLE - From February until the middle of April, most Americans know the drill all too well. The time of year has even now become synonymous with a name - tax season.
For some this means a trip to the accountant, for others it might mean a visit to TurboTax.com. For others, it could mean dropping by Liberty Tax Services, the outfit that has blessed Gwinnett County with a unique marketing and advertising technique it uses that allows its people to dress as statues of liberty.
While all these tax services charge fees, there is one service for those in need which charges absolutely nothing. For AARP Tax Aide, its emphasis is on helping seniors of moderate or low incomes in preparing their taxes and it's been in existence in the United States for 40 years now.
"I have 83 volunteers working at nine sites that provide tax filing assistance," said the program's district coordinator, Junior Pavik. "I have volunteers in their first year and some have been volunteers for 10 years or more assisting in this program."
He added that electronic filing services are offered at each location and said each tax counselor has been specially trained in how to prepare taxes for seniors.
Pavik said volunteers started working Feb. 2 and will continue to do so until April 15. He said some will also make scheduled trips to senior facilities to assist the elderly there. He asks anyone who attends a session to bring last year's tax return, proper identification and all necessary tax documents for this tax year.
For more information, call Pavik at 678-458-1135.
SideBar: Tax help
Until April 15, free tax preparation service offered by AARP Tax Aide is available at the following days, times and various locations in Gwinnett County.
· Noon to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Bunten Park, Duluth
· 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays through Fridays at Bethesda Senior Center, Lawrenceville
· 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays at First Methodist Church, Lawrenceville
· Noon to 3 p.m., Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at Gwinnett Technical College, Lawrenceville
· Noon to 3 p.m and 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursdays at Gwinnett Technical College, Lawrenceville
· 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays at Department of Human Services, Norcross
· 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays at Senior Center, Snellville
· 9 a.m. to noon Mondays through Thursdays at George Pierce Park, Suwanee
· 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturdays at George Pierce Park, Suwanee