Feds say Buford man threatened terrorism

BUFORD - Federal authorities have arrested a Buford man for reportedly threatening, via an FBI Web site, to blow up federal buildings across the United States.

The arrest marks the second run-in with federal agents for Michael Robert DeJong, 23, in as many years. He was arrested by the United States Secret Service and convicted in 2007 of threatening to kill President George W. Bush.

Agents with the FBI's joint terrorism task force arrested DeJong without incident Wednesday morning at a friend's home in Auburn. He awaits a probable cause hearing Tuesday in federal court, said Gregory Jones, a special agent with FBI Atlanta.

On Feb. 4 DeJong, whose arrest record dates back to his days at Buford High School, allegedly threatened to destroy FBI buildings nationwide by way of planted bombs. Agents tracked the anonymous threats - made on the FBI's Web site, FBI.gov - to a public computer at the Auburn Public Library, Jones said.

It was unclear exactly how investigators linked DeJong to the threats. Agents examined the library computer, and "further investigation led (them) to identify DeJong as the suspect," Jones said.

Agents found no evidence that DeJong had explosives or bomb-making devices in his possession, FBI spokesman Steven Lazarus said. He remains in federal custody.

In April 2007, DeJong mailed a letter threatening President Bush's life while he served time at the Gwinnett County Comprehensive Correctional Complex on fraud charges.

The letter, addressed to the Gwinnett County Justice and Administration Center, called for others to help DeJong in his quest to kill the president. DeJong claimed the letter was laced with anthrax, but no toxic substance was found, authorities said at the time.

At the time, DeJong had been jailed for nearly a year on 13 counts of credit card fraud and two counts of violating probation. After his release, he was arrested in July last year on a probation violation, jail records show.

DeJong's first brush with Gwinnett law enforcement came in August 2004, when police charged him with stealing credit cards.