Breaking News

Man found dead at Duluth apartment complex April 19, 2014

0

Laundry fire displaces family

LAWRENCEVILLE - A fire suspected of starting in a laundry room Tuesday displaced three residents of a home in the 2600 block of Waterford Park Drive in Lawrenceville, an official said.

The exact cause of the 12:48 p.m. blaze is under investigation, Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.

A man was reportedly home alone, using the washer and dryer to do laundry at the time of the fire. He attempted to put the fire out with two portable fire extinguishers but was unsuccessful, Rutledge said.

"As he exited the house, the man yelled to a meter reader who was working nearby to call 911," Rutledge said.

The blaze caused heavy damage to the first floor of the home and sent smoke and heat throughout the structure.

The occupants did not request Red Cross assistance, Rutledge said.

No injuries were reported.