Fireplace sparks blaze at house
LAWRENCEVILLE - Officials believe a fireplace sparked a Tuesday night blaze that displaced two adults from their Sommerset Drive home in Lawrenceville.
Firefighters responded to the single-story home at 10:22 p.m. and had the fire controlled about a half-hour later, said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
Rutledge said the blaze apparently originated with a fire in the fireplace and extended to an attic and exterior wall, causing extensive damage.
One man was home at the time, working at a computer, when he smelled smoke and saw a haze inside the house. He evacuated and called 911, Rutledge said.
No injuries were reported.
Bedroom damaged by fire
DACULA - A Dacula man came home Tuesday evening to find an upstairs bedroom on fire in his Heatherton Court home, an official said.
The man escaped and called 911 about 6:40 p.m. Firefighters contained the blaze to the bedroom. No one was home at the time, and no injuries were reported.
The fire damaged the room and contents and sent light smoke throughout the second floor. No damage to the structure was reported, Rutledge said.
The exact cause of the fire is under investigation.
Residents put out grass fire
LAWRENCEVILLE - A string of fast-moving grass fires scorched three adjoining yards on Baymount Way in Lawrenceville about 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Nearby houses narrowly escaped damages. The blaze burned the home's lawn and shrubs before it was extinguished by several neighbors with garden hoses, Rutledge said.
"We were fortunate that no structures were involved, especially with the gusty winds (on Tuesday afternoon)," Rutledge said.
The exact cause of the fires is under investigation.
Improper insulation cause of blaze
WINDER - Improperly installed insulation was the culprit in a Wednesday morning home fire in the 300 block of Meadow Trace Drive in Winder, an official said.
The 9:30 a.m. fire, which caused minor damage to a single-story home, resulted from cellulose insulation being installed too close to chimney pipes, said Barrow County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Scott Dakin.
Firefighters remained on scene for hours removing smoke and performing salvage and overhaul to the structure, Dakin said. No injuries were reported.