Tourism Awards honor hospitality at luncheon
DULUTH -- The Gwinnett Convention and Visitors Bureau recently handed out its Annual Tourism Awards at a holiday luncheon at Stars and Strikes Dacula.
"This has been a challenging year for everyone in the hospitality industry," said Preston Williams, GCVB managing director. "These awards recognize the individuals and organizations who are our partners in drawing in new business and who consistently go above and beyond."
The winners are as follows:
* 2009 Friends of Tourism Award Winners: Courtney Lawson, Gwinnett Braves community and public affairs manager; Venita Vaswani, Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place sales manager; Danielle Wunn, Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center marketing coordinator; and Katie Baasen, Georgia Department of Economic Development senior tourism sales manager
* Venue of the Year: Dave and Buster's Sugarloaf (formerly Jillian's at Discover Mills)
* Event of the Year: Catalyst Convention
* Industry Partner of the Year: The Georgia Aquarium
* Community Relations Award: Lynne DeWilde, public information officer for the city of Suwanee
* General Manager of the Year: Marcy Adams, Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place
* Sports Partner of the Year: TEAM Georgia Wrestling
* Newcomer of the Year: Gwinnett Braves
* Unsung Hero Award: Deborah Johnson, Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place conference services manager
* Restaurant of the Year: Kurt's/Vreny's, Duluth
* Industry Professional of the Year: Guido Brun, Atlanta Marriott Gwinnett Place director of sales and marketing
Catholic church donates 8,000 items to co-op
LAWRENCEVILLE -- St. Lawrence Catholic Church recently donated more than 8,000 items to the Lawrenceville Cooperative Ministry.
The Lawrenceville church delivered the items -- mostly canned goods and nonperishable food items -- to the co-op on Dec. 14, said Karen Bennett, a church member who helped collect the items.
The collection was organized by the church and the middle school youth group, led by youth ministry director Kelly Schreckenberger.
Gwinnett Gab appears in the Thursday and Sunday editions of the Gwinnett Daily Post. To submit an item to Gwinnett Gab, e-mail email@example.com.