Wednesday, December 16, 2009
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- Around this time last year, officials were left scrambling when a judge threw out a county trash collection plan due to take effect in January.
This December, officials have still not come up with a new plan or resolved two lawsuits on the issue.
On Tuesday, commissioners voted to continue contracts with waste haulers for another three months, allowing people to choose their trash hauler.
Finance Director Aaron Bovos said the three-month renewal is not an indication that the lawsuit will soon be settled. Instead, it is simply a "starting point" until officials have a clear path on the new plan or time frame, he said.
William Nye Sr., a Lilburn man who has been following the controversy for months, attended Tuesday's meeting to see if he could learn more about the future decision.
"The current services, we think, are the appropriate way," Nye said. "I guess I'll be back in three months."
During a public comment period after Tuesday's vote, attorney Kellam Warren said his client, trash hauler Waste Industries, warned officials not to "implement another illegal" plan.
"(Residents) don't need another lawsuit to tell the county to do it right," he said.