NATION IN BRIEF: Henderson steps down as CEO of General Motors

The Associated Press. General Motors Corp. CEO Fritz Henderson addresses the media during a news conference July 10 at the company's headquarters in Detroit. Henderson resigned from his position Tuesday.

The Associated Press. General Motors Corp. CEO Fritz Henderson addresses the media during a news conference July 10 at the company's headquarters in Detroit. Henderson resigned from his position Tuesday.

Henderson steps down as CEO of General Motors

DETROIT -- General Motors' CEO Frederick ''Fritz'' Henderson has resigned after eight turbulent months as head of the largest U.S. automaker.

The company said Tuesday that Chairman Ed Whitacre Jr. will serve as interim CEO. The company plans an international search for a new president and chief executive.

At a press conference in Detroit, Whitacre read a brief statement thanking Henderson for his work during a period of challenge and change.

Henderson, 51, succeeded Rick Wagoner on March 29 after the Obama administration ousted GM's former CEO as the company worked through a government-led reorganization.

Jury deadlocks in 'Junior' Gotti racketeering case

NEW YORK -- A judge declared a mistrial Tuesday at the racketeering trial of John ''Junior'' Gotti after a jury failed to reach a verdict against the son of the notorious Gambino crime family mob boss -- the case's fourth hung jury in five years.

The anonymous jurors deliberated 11 days before notifying the judge they were hopelessly deadlocked over racketeering conspiracy and murder charges. Prosecutors accused Gotti of ordering gangland hits to settle scores and of secretly pocketing drug money despite insisting he'd gone straight.

Nurse: Suspect in Smart abduction faked symptoms

SALT LAKE CITY -- A psychiatric nurse who observed the man charged with abducting Elizabeth Smart said Tuesday she believes he has faked psychiatric symptoms and behaviors to avoid prosecution and remain at a state hospital.

Leslie Miles, a former employee of Utah State Hospital, testified during the second day of a mental competency hearing for Brian David Mitchell.

Mitchell, 56, is charged in federal court with kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Man accused of living with victims' bodies indicted

CLEVELAND -- A registered sex offender attacked 14 women and killed 11 of them, leaving their remains in and around his home, a prosecutor said Tuesday in announcing a grand jury indictment against the suspected serial killer.

Anthony Sowell, 50, is indicted on murder charges in the deaths of 11 women, plus dozens of other counts, including kidnapping, abuse of a corpse, attempted murder, assault and rape.

Gate crashers spur White House security change

WASHINGTON -- The Secret Service will change some of its screening policies after an attention-hungry couple was able to crash the Obama administration's first state dinner.

A government official familiar with the plans says from now on, a staff member from the White House social office will work with the Secret Service at the gates where people check in to attend official events at the president's residence.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because there is an ongoing investigation into the Nov. 24 incident.

The couple who got into the White House state dinner for the visiting Indian prime minister without invitations insists they were invited to the dinner.

Woods to be cited for auto accident

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Tiger Woods will get a careless driving citation for a car crash outside his Orlando-area mansion last week, but will not face criminal charges, the Florida Highway Patrol said Tuesday.

Woods faces a $164 fine and four points against his driver's license. The citation will close the investigation.

''Despite the celebrity status of Mr. Woods, the Florida Highway Patrol has completed its investigation in the same professional manner it strives to complete each traffic investigation,'' Sgt. Kim Montes said.

Dying man robbed in ER waiting room

PHILADELPHIA -- Police said three people who noticed a Philadelphia school counselor unconscious and dying in an emergency waiting room robbed him instead of going for help.

Police said 63-year-old Joaquin Rivera spent nearly 80 minutes waiting in an emergency room after complaining of pain down his side. But they say he died of an apparent heart attack at Aria Health's Frankford Campus before seeing a triage nurse.

Surveillance video shows three people talking with Rivera before he passed out and then taking his wristwatch.