Wednesday, August 19, 2009
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
SNELLVILLE - Officials believe unattended food left on a stove is to blame for a Monday evening fire that displaced a Snellville family of five and killed a dog.
The 7:27 p.m. fire occurred at a split-level home in the 3200 block of Hidden Forest Drive.
One of the home's occupants had stepped outside and another was upstairs in the shower when the fire occurred. The occupant upstairs was alerted by the smoke and discovered the kitchen ablaze. He escaped, and no injuries were reported, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
Flames spread past the kitchen causing heavy damage to the room of origin, and significant smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the house.
The family dog was inside the house, where it died, Rutledge said.
The Red Cross is providing assistance to the family of two adults and three children.