Friday, August 14, 2009
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS - Nearly 40 residents were temporarily displaced Thursday night after a carbon monoxide leak at The Retreat at Arc Way apartments.
Gwinnett fire spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said crews were dispatched at about 6:37 p.m. after a resident called to report an alarm had gone off.
Upon their arrival, Rutledge said, firefighters using monitor readings confirmed a high concentration of the gas in Building 4045, leading to the evacuation of the eight occupied units.
"At this point we're not sure of the source," Rutledge said. "But nobody was hurt, and that's a good thing."
Firefighters cut gas to the units and ventilated the building, allowing residents to return home if they chose to.
The American Red Cross was notified but could only counsel residents since the leak was an inconvenience, not an emergency.