Kindergarten registration is May 7

LAWRENCEVILLE - Kindergarten registration for the upcoming school year takes place May 7 at Gwinnett County Public Schools' 69 elementary schools.

The school district expects 12,262 kindergartners to attend school in the 2009-10 year, a slight increase from the 12,107 currently enrolled. Overall, enrollment in the state's largest school district is expected to increase by 1,744 to 158,963 students.

Parents and guardians of children who will be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 should plan to visit their local elementary school May 7 for kindergarten registration, said Jorge Quintana, spokesman for Gwinnett County Public Schools. Many schools will offer activities or screenings that day.

Registration takes place before the summer so new students can participate in local school activities that will help them get ready for their first day of school on Aug. 10, Quintana said.

Parents and guardians can call the elementary school their child will attend for registration times or visit "Kindergarten Registration" on the school district's Web site, www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us, for more information. Students who will attend one of three new elementary schools scheduled to open in August - Starling Elementary in Grayson, White Oak Elementary in Buford and Woodward Mill Elementary in Lawrenceville - should register at the school they would have attended had the new school not opened. Parents who are unsure which school their kindergartner will attend can call the school system's Planning Department at 678-301-7085.

Buford Elementary School's kindergarten registration will take place 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. today, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 7, and 5 to 7 p.m. May 12. For more information, visit www.bufordcityschools.org.

SideBar: What to bring

Gwinnett County Public School's kindergarten registration is scheduled for

May 7 at local elementary schools. Parents and guardians of children who will be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 should bring the following to register their student:

· Your child. Schools may offer activities or screenings on registration day. Check with the school for details.

· A copy of the pre-K progress report if your child has attended a state pre-K program. This can be helpful information for your child's kindergarten teacher.

· An official document showing proof of your child's birth date. Examples include an original birth certificate or birth registration, an official state or federal form with date of birth, or a passport.

· Evidence of vision, hearing and dental exams obtained in the past year. This information should be on Georgia Form No. 3300, available from the health department or your physician or dentist. Letters from appropriate health care professionals and out-of-state certificates are acceptable, if completed within the last 12 months and stapled to the state form.

· A Georgia certificate of immunization. State form No. 3231 must be completed by the health department or your private physician. By state law, a valid immunization form or immunization exemption (for medical or religious reasons) is required for enrollment. You may request an exemption form from your school.

· Proof that you live in the school's attendance zone. Examples include a noncontingent sales contract, lease or deed. A lease or deed must be accompanied by at least one utility bill (excluding telephone bills) with the same address. A contingency contract is not acceptable. If you live with a friend or family member and need information about verifying your current address, call your local school.

· Proof of custody/guardianship. Proof of guardianship is required for registration if the enrolling adult is not the birth parent. To learn more, contact the Gwinnett County Probate Court at 770-822-8265.

· Your child's Social Security number. State law requires that schools ask for this number at the time of enrollment. However, students will be enrolled even if the number is not provided, but parents will be asked to sign a waiver.

· Your photo ID. The person enrolling a student should present proper identification. This identification may include a driver's license, a state identification card, a passport, or other official photo identification, such as an ID card obtained through an official government agency.

Source: Gwinnett County Public Schools