Thursday, April 23, 2009
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS - Police on Wednesday identified the injured man shot in a home invasion robbery this week and cleared him of wrongdoing.
Miguel Ochoa, 30, of Norcross, lives a few doors down from the couple who were attacked by two hooded black men in their Lambert Drive home Tuesday morning, police said.
Ochoa was shot following an altercation with the assailants, who remain at large. He underwent surgery and is expected to recover, Gwinnett police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman said.
It's still unclear if Ochoa was picked at random and forced to participate in the robbery, or if he knew the suspects, Illana said.
"Mr. Ochoa is a victim in this case, not a suspect," she said. "We're still investigating the connection, if any, with Ochoa and (the suspects)."
Police believe the Hispanic man went to the home with two black men and knocked on the door. The couple, who recognized Ochoa, opened the door and were overwhelmed by the alleged robbers, who ransacked the home in search of money, police said.
The suspects swiped several items from the home before running away. They fled in a large black SUV resembling a GMC Yukon that had been parked around the corner, Spellman said.
Police urge anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $2,000.