Con Sal Tequila Bar and Grill
5005 Peachtree Parkway, Suite 820, Norcross
· Open since: October
· Location: Con Sal is tucked into a shopping center off Peachtree Parkway in Norcross
· Hours: The kitchen at Con Sal is open from
11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday,
11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and noon to 10 p.m. Sundays, although the bar stays open later. Lunch is served from 11 a.m. to
3 p.m. weekdays.
· Owner: George Yu, 27, decided engineering wasn't what he wanted to do and instead went into the same business as his parent. His restaurant serves Mexican food, while his parents' served Chinese. After working at the Mexican restaurant Uncle Julio's of Buckhead for six years, the Parkview grad and John's Creek resident opened Con Sal Tequila Bar and Grill.
· Atmosphere: Yu said he envisioned Con Sal with an upscale bar atmosphere, something that could be found in Buckhead but located right there in Norcross. Yu has provided booth, table and bar seating options in the single dining room with patio seating out in front of the restaurant for an outdoor dining option.
The cabinets, tables and chairs, bar and light fixtures at Con Sal were all handmade in Mexico.
· Menu: Yu's favorite dish and Con Sal's bestseller is the tacos al carbon, two tacos with fajita beef or chicken wrapped in corn tortillas with fresh pico de gallo and sauteed onions. Coming in second on the best-seller list are the fish tacos, a fried tilapia filet lightly breaded in corn masa with red cabbage and chipotle mayonnaise.
Con Sal has an extensive tapas menu, including the popular patatas, seasoned red potatoes, and the platanos, sweet plantains topped with a homemade sweet mole sauce.
With tequila in the name, it might not come as a surprise that Con Sal stocks a large selection of the liquor some guests might not find anywhere else around.
· Things you might not know: Con Sal means "with salt" in Spanish. Yu came up with the name during a night out drinking with friends after ordering tequila at the bar.