Falcons Milloy charged with DUI

LAWRENCEVILLE - A defensive stalwart for the Atlanta Falcons was arrested on DUI charges early Monday after Gwinnett police caught him speeding up Interstate 85, an official said.

Police arrested NFL veteran safety Lawyer Milloy, 34, on speeding and DUI charges after he was pulled over on northbound I-85 near Steve Reynolds Boulevard about 3:30 a.m., said Gwinnett police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman.

Milloy, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, has led the Falcons' secondary in tackles the last two seasons. His team had suffered a bruising 24-9 road loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers less than 12 hours prior to his arrest.

Milloy's stay at the Gwinnett County Jail was short-lived. He posted $1,641 bond and was released at 9:48 a.m. Monday, roughly five hours after he was booked. While incarcerated he was visited by his wife, Claudine Milloy, jail records show.

Spellman said a police report detailing Milloy's arrest was not available Monday.

A copy of Milloy's citation will not be available for three to four weeks, a court clerk said.

Falcons head coach Mike Smith said he had a "lengthy" conversation with Milloy on Monday but declined to cite what was discussed; he said the matter would be handled internally.

"The first thing that I want to state is that anytime any of our players are in this type of situation, we are extremely disappointed," Smith said. "Myself and our organization, we feel it is completely unacceptable."

Currently in his 13th NFL season, Milloy was signed by the Falcons in March 2006 after being waived by the Buffalo Bills. He was originally drafted in the second round in 1996 by the New England Patriots, and later helped them clinch Super Bowl XXXVI over the St. Louis Rams, according to the Falcons team Web site.

Milloy isn't the only Falcons defender to find himself in hot water lately in the Gwinnett legal system.

Falcons linebacker Michael Boley was arrested in May on charges of domestic violence battery, after his wife told police Boley pushed her around their Dacula home.

Boley, 25, who hasn't addressed the situation publicly, denied any wrongdoing to police prior to his arrest.

Boley waived his arraignment in August. His trial is expected sometime in October, a Gwinnett Solicitor's Office representative said.