Thursday, September 4, 2008
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
Gas leak stalls U.S. 78
LILBURN - A gas leak shut down all lanes of U.S. 78 in Lilburn for roughly two hours Tuesday night, authorities said.
Construction workers using a backhoe in the 4500 block of the roadway struck a gas line just before 10 p.m. Several businesses in the area were already closed, and evacuations weren't necessary, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
Firefighters closed all lanes of the highway between Lake Lucerne and Ross roads. No injuries were reported.
An emergency crew from Atlanta Gas Light brought the leak under control at 12:15 a.m., Rutledge said.
Fire displaces four
LILBURN - Investigators said a fire at a ranch-style home in Lilburn that left four people displaced originated in a clothes dryer Tuesday night.
Firefighters controlled the blaze in about 22 minutes after arriving at the Arcadia Place home just after 11 p.m.
Two adults and two teenage children who live at the home were not injured, said Rutledge. They were displace by smoke damage caused by the fire but declined Red Cross assistance, he said.
The fire was later ruled accidental, Rutledge said.