0

Robber gets life in prison

LAWRENCEVILLE - A Lilburn man who led a home-invasion posse that terrorized Gwinnett four years ago is headed to prison for the rest of his life - and then some.

Gwinnett Superior Court Judge Debra Turner sentenced Mario Alberto Silverio, 22, to six life sentences plus 271 years during a Friday hearing.

Lisa Jones, Assistant District Attorney, said the sentence was the maximum the state had hoped for.

Silverio led and supplied guns to a nine-man team of robbers who tied up, tortured, sexually assaulted and shot victims between February and April 2004. The gunmen targeted eight Hispanic families and one Jamaican family across Gwinnett during the spree.

Earlier this month a jury convicted Silverio on all but two of 24 counts presented by prosecutors. The conviction includes a bevy of violent crimes, such as armed robbery, aggravated assault and aggravated sexual battery.

Four members of Silverio's posse have entered guilty pleas, while two suspects are awaiting trial and one man has been convicted of a role similar to Silverio's. That man, Gustavo Cisneros, was sentenced in June to six life sentences plus 211 years.

The ninth suspect, a juvenile, was mistakenly set free, Jones has said.

Silverio and his alleged accomplices were arrested in late April 2004 at separate residences. He has remained at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond since.

He had yet to be transferred from the local facility as of Tuesday afternoon, jail records show.