Buford 44, Dublin 10

BUFORD - For the first 20 minutes of Friday's Class AA state quarterfinal matchup with Dublin, it appeared Buford might have its hands full with the two teams knotted at 10-10 midway through the second quarter.

Never mind.

Buford rattled off the game's next 34 points and eventually pounded Dublin 44-10 to advance to next week's semifinal matchup with Fitzgerald.

Buford (13-0) used every phase of the game to produce those 34 points and scored on five of six possessions spanning the second, third and fourth quarters after the game was tied.

Three Daniel Villafuerte field goals, a pair of Storm Johnson TD runs and a TD run each from Michael May and Cody Getz sealed the deal for the Wolves, who will host the semifinal matchup with Fitzgerald.

"In the last four weeks or so, we've been able to have more spurts and have more explosive plays on offense that have given us the opportunity to build these big leads," Buford head coach Jess Simpson said. "We couldn't separate from teams at times this year, but we have lately and we did again tonight against a very talented Dublin team.

"And our kicking game was exceptionally sound and except for one series on defense, we really limited (Dublin) to explode. So I think we're peaking at the right time and that's exciting."

Meanwhile, Dublin (11-2) could do nothing right once Buford found its stride. After a 20-yard Briceton Cannada field goal with 10:31 left in the second quarter, the Fighting Irish never lit the scoreboard again.

In fact, Dublin had seven possessions for the remainder of the game and three ended in an interception or fumble, which set up the Buford offense time and again to continue the rout. The Buford defense limited Dublin to 146 yards of total offense with just 30 of those yards coming in the second half.

Buford actually jumped out to a 10-0 lead on the first Villafuerte FG of 43 yards and an 18-yard TD from Getz. But Dublin answered with a 22-yard pass from Rashard Smith to Chris Smith and the Cannada FG.

That's when Buford went to work and that would be the last time Dublin was heard from.

May scored on a 22-yard scramble and Villafuerte added a 34-yard FG to close out the half and send the Wolves into the locker room with a 20-10 lead.

But Buford came out in the second half still on fire and sealed the deal with Getz, who finished with 160 yards on 18 carries, scoring from 59 yards out and Johnson (10 for 58 yards) adding his two TD runs from 25 and 7 yards.