LAWRENCEVILLE - Members of The National Tutoring Association are offering free Saturday classes this month to middle and high schoolers to help students get better grades in math.
The Math Boot Camp sessions are being offered at Gwinnett County Public Library branches. Sessions are scheduled for 1 to 3 p.m. today at the Suwanee branch, 2 to 4 p.m. today at the Five Forks branch, 9 to 11 a.m. Nov. 15 at the Collins Hill branch, 1 to 3 p.m. Nov. 15 at the Suwanee branch and 9 to 11 a.m. Nov. 22 at the Collins Hill and Suwanee branches.
"Math is the subject that causes more parents to request a tutor than any other subject, and the subject that students are most likely to fail," said Sabrina Smith, director of education for Commuter Tutors. "Teachers and tutors are volunteering to teach these classes to give students a better understanding of the basics, so that they will have the required foundation to do better in algebra, calculus, trigonometry and geometry. Obviously, we cannot teach a student everything they need to know in a short class, but we can show them what they need to master in order to improve their math grades."
There is no cost to attend a session, but those who wish to participate are asked to call 678-886-0640 to reserve a space. Students will need to bring some pencils, an eraser and some lined paper to the class.
Parents who attend will receive a copy of "Parent's Survival Guide," which contains suggestions from Gwinnett County Public Schools on how to help a child succeed in math.
SideBar: If you go
Math Boot Camp
· When: 1 to 3 p.m. today, 1 to 3 p.m. Nov. 15 and 9 to 11 a.m. Nov. 22
· Where: Suwanee library branch, 361 Main St., Suwanee
· When: 2 to 4 p.m. today
· Where: Five Forks library branch, 2780 Five Forks Trickum Road, Lawrenceville
· When: 9 to 11 a.m. Nov. 15 and 9 to 11 a.m. Nov. 22
· Where: Collins Hill library branch, 455 Camp Perrin Road, Lawrenceville
· Cost: Free
· Note: Call 678-886-0640 to reserve a space. Students will need to bring some pencils, an eraser and some lined paper to the session.