Friday, November 7, 2008
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
· Open since: 2000
· Location: Sophia's Italian Cafe is just off Ga. Highway 316 on Progress Center Avenue
· Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday with lunch being served from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
· Owner: Suwanee resident Chun Kim bought Sophia's about two months ago. She, along with original owner, Atlanta resident John Valentino, is continuing the eight-year tradition of offering homemade Italian fare.
· Atmosphere: The open dining area is brightened with green accents and offers booth and table seating. The expansive bar also seats diners.
· Menu: Sophia's offers traditional Italian dishes, including dinner favorites lasagna and shrimp alfredo. Sauces are homemade and the alfredo is Valentino's family recipe. Baked spaghetti is a popular lunch item, and a variety of sandwiches - meatball parmesan, chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan - soups and salads round out the offerings.
Sophia's serves beer and wine in addition to soft drinks, teas and coffee.
· Things you might not know: Sophia's Italian Cafe is named for Valentino's 84-year-old mother who can sometimes be found cooking up Italian fare in the restaurant's kitchen.