Kitchen fire extinguished by sprinklers

LAWRENCEVILLE - Firefighters responded Monday evening to an apartment kitchen fire extinguished by a sprinkler system, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

The damage was contained to the kitchen in the first-floor unit at the Colonial Grand Apartments on Veranda Chase Drive in Lawrenceville, Rutledge said.

Firefighters removed smoke and water from the apartment, and the building was evacuated briefly so firefighters could check for extensions, Rutledge said.