Friday, March 21, 2008
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
SUWANEE - About 70 students were evacuated from part of North Gwinnett High School on Thursday after a small classroom fire started in an air conditioning unit.
No one was injured, but students in an older portion of the school were sent to another part of the building as firefighters cleared smoke from three classrooms and a hallway, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
"They were able to return to that part of the building after the smoke was cleared," Rutledge said.
He said the source of the fire was a burned-out heating coil in an individual classroom air conditioning unit. In the older area of the building, each classroom has its own unit.
The fire was contained to the unit and was out by the time firefighters arrived. The fire at the high school, at 20 Level Creek Road in Suwanee, was dispatched at 7:07 a.m. Rutledge said firefighters left the school by 8 a.m.