Friday, June 27, 2008
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE - A slow-moving early evening storm kept Gwinnett firefighters busy Thursday as crews responded to four known house fires caused by lightning in less than an hour, a fire official said.
Shortly after 5:50 p.m., crews responded to a fire in the 1000 block of Slash Pine Court in Lawrenceville and found smoke showing from the roof of a two-story house, according to Gwinnett fire spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge. Firefighters made a quick knock down on a fire in the chimney and attic area. The blaze caused moderate damage to the roof, chimney and exterior wall. Occupants were home at the time and escaped unharmed, he said.
Nearly 30 minutes later, crews responded to a report of a fire in the 5300 block Candle Berry Drive in Lilburn and found an active fire and smoke in the basement of a two-story residence, Rutledge said. The fire was contained to the basement area and caused moderate damage. A lone occupant escaped unharmed, he said.
Meanwhile, in the 4600 block of Warrior Trail in Lilburn, firefighters found heavy flames contained in a detached garage. No one was home at the time and no injuries were reported.
Finally at 6:38 p.m., crews were dispatched in the 1500 block of Rivermist Drive in Lilburn and found another working fire in a detached garage on arrival, Rutledge said. The fire was contained to the garage and caused moderate damage. No injuries were reported.