Fratelli's Italian Restaurant
2855 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road, Suite 740, Suwanee
· Open since: May 22
· Location: The restaurant is in the Horizon Village Shopping Center at the intersection of Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road and Horizon Drive.
· Owner: Jim Prince
· Hours: Fratelli's is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
· Atmosphere: This family friendly restaurant is classy, but casual. The stuccoed walls and brick give an Old World Italian feel, while the checkered tablecloths add a touch of whimsy.
Monochromatic street scenes adorn a wall above some booths. Customers can also sit at tables in the dining area, which is separated from the bar by a low wall topped with a trellis.
Joe Sweeney, the operating partner, said they wanted to get away from the look of a national chain.
"We wanted to feel more like a Mom and Pop neighborhood place," Sweeney said.
· Menu: Fratelli's Italian Restaurant is an offshoot of Fratelli Di Napoli Ristorante, a shared-style upscale establishment. Fratelli's serves the same high-quality, authentic Italian dishes, but in smaller portions.
One signature dish is the rigatoni with vodka sauce, made with wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, real vodka and a touch of heavy cream.
"People have come to know it," Sweeney said. "It has a very unique taste."
Another favorite is an American-Italian staple, chicken parmigiana. The moist chicken is smothered with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Baked penne di Napoli is a hearty meal. The fresh artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes and black olives mix well with the parmigiana cream sauce.
· Beverages: The restaurant serves assorted Coca-Cola products and tea.
· Desserts: The chocolate cake for two could easily be shared by three or more - it's that big. The four-layer slice comes on a plate drizzled in a raspberry sauce.
· Things you might not know: Fratelli's is offering a lunch promotion. Buy five lunches and get the sixth free. Be sure to ask for a punch card.