Radio station attacked
Police: Man tried to firebomb ex-employer

DULUTH - A man was severely burned Monday when an apparent firebomb attempt on a Duluth business backfired, police said.

Police said the suspect walked in the Korea Media Group office on Duluth Park Lane and threw an "incendiary device" at employees. The stand-alone business houses the Korean-language radio station AM 1080, officials said.

The suspect, identified as Duluth resident Hong Seop Chae, 51, was a former employee who was fired about two months ago, said Duluth police Maj. Don Woodruff. He allegedly entered the business at 3:40 p.m. intending to cause the business damage, but the firebombing backfired and severely burned Chae's body, Woodruff said.

Chae was taken into custody at Gwinnett Medical Center by Gwinnett fire investigators at about 9 p.m. Monday and subsequently booked into the Gwinnett County Jail, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

Chae faces two counts of possession of a destructive device and one count of first-degree arson.

Another man - an employee's relative who was visiting the business - was also injured and hospitalized. Both of the injured men were taken via ambulance to Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville, Rutledge said.

The unidentified man was transported to a burn unit late Monday with moderate to severe burns.

About 10 employees were working at the time of the alleged attack. The business was evacuated but suffered only slight damages, Woodruff said. Fire officials said the blaze burned itself out.

"I would assume he's a disgruntled employee," Rutledge said.

Rutledge said fire investigators found a spent Molotov cocktail - a bottle of alcohol or fuel ignited by a fiery wick - in the business in addition to an unignited one. Investigators believe Chae sprayed an unidentified accelerant on the floor of the business prior to lighting the device.

Staff writers Heather Darenberg and Alex P. Joyner contributed to this report.