Saturday, July 26, 2008
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD - A Buford day care was evacuated Friday when road construction workers struck a nearby gas main, an official said.
Officials at Sugar Hill Daycare whisked about 40 toddlers outside the building when crews struck the line about 10:45 a.m., a fire official said.
No injuries were reported.
The day care, which sits near the corner of North Price Road and Old Suwanee Road, was cleared for the kids to return an hour later, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
Buford Gas repaired the leak, he said.
In an unrelated incident, investigators ruled a Lawrenceville fire early Friday morning was sparked by unattended, burning candles, an official said.
Rutledge said the fire caused heavy damage to the back of a home in the 2900 block of Dowry Drive.
A neighbor called 911 at 12:21 a.m. after seeing flames shoot from the back of the home. An adult and three children who live there were not home at the time. No other injuries were reported, Rutledge said.