Cops kill kidnapping suspect
1 man dead, victim in custody after caper goes awry

LAWRENCEVILLE - A confrontation with Gwinnett police SWAT officers left a kidnapping suspect dead in the parking lot of a Waffle House early Monday morning, authorities said.

Police said the suspect, Richard Garcia, 23, made "aggressive movements" toward a weapon as officers approached his vehicle about 2:30 a.m. He was shot multiple times, police said.

The incident was a ransom ploy gone awry, resulting in Garcia's death and a Lawrenceville man's arrest - along with the arrest of the alleged victim, according to police.

It is the second time Gwinnett police have resorted to using deadly force this year.

The alleged kidnappers thought they were meeting family members of a 34-year-old man abducted July 1 at an apartment complex on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs, authorities said.

Garcia, along with his alleged accomplice, Jose Ramirez-Perez, 24, contacted the abducted man's family on Thursday, demanding "a large sum of money" for his release, said Sandy Springs police Lt. Steve Rose.

The family called police, then established a drop point at the Lawrenceville Waffle House late Sunday night, where Gwinnett police staged a sting, Rose said.

No officers or restaurant patrons were injured in the shooting, which occurred at a Waffle House at 926 Pleasant Hill Road in Lawrenceville.

The surviving suspect, Ramirez-Perez, was arrested on a felony charge of false imprisonment, said Gwinnett police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman. He remains in the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.

Spellman declined to say what type of weapon Garcia, the deceased suspect, was allegedly reaching for. She was unsure Monday if he died at the scene or was transported for medical attention.

Gwinnett SWAT officers acted on a tip from Sandy Springs police, who had been searching for the alleged victim, Juan David Arce-Flores, since July 1.

Several hours after the shooting, Gwinnett police found Arce-Flores walking along U.S. Highway 29. He initially gave officers a fake name, but divulged his identity within a half hour, said Rose.

"He told investigators that sometime during the ordeal he managed to escape from the house where he was being held captive," Gwinnett police spokesman Cpl. David Schiralli said.

Arce-Flores was questioned and detained by Gwinnett police on a failure to appear warrant in Gwinnett County. Schiralli said it was unclear Monday what Arce-Flores' original charge was.

Following the shooting, Gwinnett SWAT officers also responded to two homes in the 880 block of Terrace Trace in Lawrenceville, but no arrests were made and no injuries were reported, police said.

Gwinnett police last used deadly force during a SWAT incident on Jan. 3 this year in Sugar Hill, during which two officers were shot and wounded, Spellman said.