Friday, July 4, 2008
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD - Authorities believe a McDonough man found dead in his boat on Lake Lanier likely died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Hall County emergency responders found the body of Chris Jones, 45, inside his cabin cruiser just before 1 p.m. Wednesday. The boat was lashed to a service dock at Holiday Marina in Buford.
An autopsy to determine Jones' exact cause of death is pending, Hall County Sheriff's Office spokesman Maj. Jeff Strickland said.
"The death appears accidental, and no foul play is expected," Strickland said.
Investigators found high levels of carbon monoxide in the boat's interior where Jones was found.
Police believe Jones had docked the boat in Holiday Marina the previous night and slept with a generator running, which filled the watercraft with deadly fumes, Strickland said.
Strickland said the incident remains under investigation.