Detroit mayor names chief of staff replacement

DETROIT - Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick named a new chief of staff Tuesday, a day after the woman who previously held the post resigned amid allegations that she and the mayor lied under oath about an affair.

Kandia Milton, who has served as deputy chief of staff and liaison to Detroit's City Council, was appointed to Christine Beatty's job, Kilpatrick announced in a written statement released Tuesday.

Attorney who went missing pleads guilty to false alarms

TOLEDO, Ohio - A pregnant attorney who police said made up a story about being kidnapped and driven from Ohio to Georgia pleaded guilty Tuesday to one count of making false alarms. Authorities said Karyn McConnell Hancock, 35, who was missing for three days in December, told them a man with a gun and two others abducted her outside a juvenile court building in downtown Toledo and forced her into the back of a van. She later recanted.

Hancock's attorney, Jerry Phillips, said he also expects her to be charged with theft and forgery based on accusations from former clients who say she stole money from them.

School shooter convicted in weapons trial

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - A federal jury convicted a 23-year-old man on an obscure weapons charge Tuesday, apparently unaware that 10 years ago he and another boy killed four classmates and a teacher in a schoolyard ambush.

Mitchell Johnson faces 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he is sentenced in the next 45 days on a count of possessing a firearm while being a drug user. Through his attorney, Johnson declined to comment Tuesday.

Johnson was arrested on New Year's Day 2007 after police stopped his van and said they found a bag of marijuana in his pocket and a 9 mm pistol and a 20-gauge shotgun in two bags.

Judge refuses to reinstate bond for indicted businessman

CHICAGO - A federal judge refused Tuesday to reinstate bond for an indicted businessman who poured thousands of dollars into the campaigns of Barack Obama and others, saying he was a flight risk.

U.S. District Judge Amy J. St. Eve had earlier revoked Antoin 'Tony' Rezko's $2 million bond because of concerns that he could flee the country before his Feb. 25 trial. Rezko was jailed Monday after prosecutors disclosed he received $3.5 million from an Iraqi billionaire while claiming to be broke.