Police/fire reports


Man arrested outside store

LAWRENCEVILLE - Police booked a man for allegedly wandering drunkenly around a Lawrenceville Kroger after witnesses said he urinated outside the store.

Crispin Santos-Ramirez was arrested on two counts of disorderly conduct Friday afternoon by Gwinnett police, who found him outside a Kroger store on Herrington Road.

A Kroger employee told police he asked Santos-Ramirez to leave the property several times but he refused. The employee said he witnessed the man urinating on bushes outside the supermarket.

Police found Santos-Ramirez in the store's parking lot, where an officer noticed he smelled strongly of alcohol and his pants "were wet in the front," according to a police report.

Man with bullhorn, weapons refuses hospitalization

NORCROSS - Gwinnett police found more than they'd bargained for during a recent check on a Norcross man.

Police responded Thursday to a report of a demented person making noise in the 700 block of Kenneth Lane. The resident, who held a battery powered bullhorn, told police he was "talking with System about the discrepancies in the facts."

He told police he is a paranoid schizophrenic who has not seen his doctor for two years and has stopped taking his medication.

Police found several rifles and handguns, along with about 50 boxes of ammunition, inside the man's home. The man refused to surrender his weapons or to be transported to a hospital, according to a police report.

An officer contacted the man's brother, who agreed to meet with the man to discuss his missed doctor's visits and the weapons. The brother told police the family has tried to take control of the weapons several times, but his brother is an avid collector.


Hotel fire displaces 12

NORCROSS - About a dozen people had to find another place to spend the night when a fire caused a Motel 8 to be evacuated Sunday.

Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department, said an air handling unit from the Bay Circle motel caught fire and dropped into the attic, over an unoccupied third-floor guest room.

No one was hurt in the fire, Rutledge said, but the motel's roof and a portion of the attic were damaged.

Firefighters removed the ceiling in five or six rooms to make sure the fire hadn't spread. There was some smoke damage on the third floor, Rutledge said.

Because of the blaze, which Rutledge said happened about 4 p.m., between 10 and 12 guests and employees had to find another place to stay.

"They were not able to return last night," he said Monday.

Break room destroyed

NORCROSS - A break room at the Valiant Steel and Equipment Company warehouse was destroyed by a fire Monday.

The cause of the blaze in the detached 30- by 40-foot structure was undetermined, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

Rutledge said the fire only caused cosmetic damage to the warehouse, and he believed employees were able to continue working. Nobody was hurt in the fire.

Firefighters received a call about the blaze at 9:27 a.m. and the fire was under control at 9:51 a.m., Rutledge said.

Grease fire accidental

LAWRENCEVILLE - A grease fire on a stove caused minor damage to a Lawrenceville home Monday.

Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department, said the fire damaged a wall and cabinets and sent smoke through the main level of the house at 162 Scarlet Way.

No one was injured in the fire, which began around 12:35 p.m. and was under control by 12:53 p.m.

The fire appears to be accidental, Rutledge said.

Unattended food sparks fire

LILBURN - Three people were displaced when their home caught fire Saturday.

Two adults and their teenage daughter received Red Cross assistance after a fire started when food was left unattended on the stove, sparking a blaze, Gwinnett Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.

The fire was at 348 W. Wind Drive in Lilburn. It was dispatched at 8:38 p.m., Rutledge said, and under control at 9:12 p.m.

The residents unsuccessfully tried to put the fire out with a portable fire extinguisher, and when firefighters arrived, they found flames through the roof of the split-level wood-frame house.