Britney Spears hospitalized

LOS ANGELES - Hauled away from her home by paramedics and police, 26-year-old pop star Britney Spears remained hospitalized Friday as attorneys met in Superior Court in her custody battle with ex-husband Kevin Federline over their two young sons.

Federline has temporary custody of 2-year-old Sean Preston and 1-year-old Jayden James because Spears, who has limited visitation rights, has defied court orders.

Federline's attorney Mark Vincent Kaplan said he had been at Spears' hilltop home late Thursday before an ambulance whisked the singer to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after a nearly three-hour standoff with Los Angeles police.

'I was up at the guard gate where (she) lives. I did not go in' to the home, Kaplan said. 'I was up there only to bring a document ... that identified the existing court order' about the couple's custody arrangements and visitation schedule. He gave the document to a security guard.

Spears' mother, Lynne Spears, would not disclose any information about her daughter's condition. 'Just say prayers,' she told the celebrity news show 'Access Hollywood' by phone Friday.

Hospital spokeswoman Simi Singer wouldn't confirm or deny reports in entertainment media that Spears would be held for 72 hours for psychological evaluation.

Spears' latest troubles began about 8 p.m. Thursday when officers were called to her home because she refused to turn over her children to Federline as dictated by their custody agreement.

It took two to three hours to resolve the conflict, said Officer Ana Aguirre.

'There was a time where she was within the residence and wasn't available to be speaking to the officers, apparently,' she said. 'There was no threat to the children.'

'Police resolved the conflict,' Aguirre said. 'Both children were turned over to her ex-husband Kevin Federline for custody, and she was in fact taken to a local hospital for medical treatment.'

Early police reports said officers thought Spears might have been under the influence of some substance but Aguirre said there was no evidence of that.

Officers at the scene determined that paramedics 'needed to be called' but it was unclear why, she said.

'We're not aware of any type of injuries that she sustained' and she was not combative with authorities, Aguirre said.

Spears wasn't arrested in connection with the custody dispute, Aguirre said.

'There was no actual crime that was involved,' Aguirre said.