Ohio jury spares ex-cop from death for killing girlfriend

CANTON, Ohio - A former police officer was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with a chance of parole after 57 years for killing his pregnant lover and their unborn child.

Jurors spared Bobby Cutts Jr. the death penalty on the most serious charge, an aggravated murder count in the death of the fetus.

Cutts, 30, had sobbed on the witness stand when he claimed the death of 26-year-old Jessie Davis from an elbow to the throat last June was an accident during an argument. He said he dumped her body in a park in a panic. He returned to the stand after his conviction to ask jurors to spare his life.

Four killed in apartment shooting in Tennessee town

BRISTOL, Tenn. - A man fatally shot four people at a public housing complex Wednesday, fled the scene and apparently killed himself several miles away, police said.

Rusty L. Rumley opened fire around noon during a domestic dispute at Edgemont Towers, Bristol police spokeswoman Stephanie Hoskins said. She had no other details on a motive for the shootings.

Hoskins said Rumley, 26, fled the scene in his vehicle before crashing it near the Sullivan-Carter county line, about 15 miles southwest of Bristol, which is near the Virginia line.

The vehicle was empty when officers arrived, but they eventually found Rumley dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, Hoskins said.

1 shot during Connecticut bank robbery

WATERBURY, Conn. - A gunman opened fire at a bank Wednesday, then fled, police said. Seven schools were locked down while police searched, and a car crash that happened minutes later was believed to be connected to the robbery.

Police had one person in custody and were searching for another. It wasn't clear if the robber got away with any money, authorities said.

The robbery happened just after 11 a.m. at a Webster Bank branch in the western Connecticut city.

Judge refuses to postpone O.J. Simpson trial

LAS VEGAS - The judge in O.J. Simpson's armed robbery case on Wednesday refused defense lawyers' requests to postpone his trial.

'I'm here to tell you all that the April 7 trial date is going to be preserved,' Clark County District Court Judge Jackie Glass told defense lawyers and prosecutors, noting that lawyers agreed on the date in November.

'There have been months to be able to prepare for this case,' the judge said. 'This is, despite what you've told me, not a complicated case.'

Man gets life in prison for poisoning death

KENOSHA, Wis. - A man who was convicted of poisoning and suffocating his wife was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison without parole. Before she was killed, his wife had written a letter foreshadowing that her death might be suspicious.

Mark Jensen, 48, was found guilty last week of first-degree intentional homicide, a crime that carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison. The decision on whether he was eligible for parole was left to the judge.

Julie Jensen, 40, was found dead in her home in Pleasant Prairie on Dec. 3, 1998, after being sick for a few days. Prosecutors said she was poisoned with antifreeze and then suffocated.

Mark Jensen claimed his wife was depressed and killed herself, framing him for her death.

Trains carrying chemicals derails in West Texas

ALPINE, Texas - An official says cleanup is under way in West Texas after a freight train carrying hazardous materials derailed. Some residents were evacuated temporarily but no chemicals were released.

A Union Pacific spokesman says the train was traveling from Louisiana to California when 86 cars jumped the track late Tuesday night. The two-person crew was not injured.

About a dozen homes were evacuated near Alpine, Texas, about 220 miles east of El Paso. Residents are returning home after officials determined no chemicals had leaked.

Coast Guard, fishermen put out blaze aboard ship off Alaskan coast

JUNEAU, Alaska - Nearby vessels and a Coast Guard cutter helped the crew of a fish processing boat extinguish a laundry-room blaze Wednesday in the Bering Sea off Alaska's Aleutian Islands.

No injuries were reported on the 253-foot Pacific Glacier, and 90 of the 106 crew members were taken aboard nearby vessels after the fire began Tuesday night, Coast Guard Petty Officer Barry Lane said.

'All 106 crew, including two federal fisheries observers, are reported safe and accounted for,' according to a statement from the boat's owner, Seattle-based Glacier Fish Co.

The fire started in the laundry room and took about seven hours to put out, the company said.