0

2-year-old, mother go to hospital with burns

NORCROSS - A 2-year-old Norcross girl was airlifted to an Atlanta hospital Monday for burns she received while frying chicken with her mother.

The child remained in a Grady Memorial Hospital burn unit Monday with "significant burns" caused by hot cooking oil, an official said.

Gwinnett fire spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said the child's mother was cooking chicken in a Jerry Way home in Norcross, then called 911 about 11 a.m. to report her child's injuries.

Rutledge was unsure how the child came into contact with the scalding substance. Firefighters had difficulty communicating with the mother, who spoke Spanish, he said.

"We believe it to be an accident," he said.

The child's mother received less severe burns and was transported by ambulance to Grady.

Both the mother and child were conscious and alert during transport, Rutledge said.