Woman was bludgeoned to death

NORCROSS - Authorities confirmed Tuesday a woman found dead inside her home last week was bludgeoned to death prior to a nearly 12-hour police standoff at her home the same day.

According to Gwinnett County police, 47-year-old Patricia Rabold died due to blunt-force trauma to the head. An arrest warrant explains she was struck in the head multiple times with an axe.

Rabold's body was found inside her home on Edgemoor Drive on Thursday after authorities were called to the home about 10 p.m. last Wednesday with a tip her wanted live-in boyfriend, 33-year-old Shannon Alan Marlow, was inside.

Police entered the home to find the deceased woman but didn't make contact with Marlow at that time, authorities said. They locked down the neighborhood as SWAT teams arrived.

SWAT officers found Marlow - who didn't appear to be armed - inside the home's attic the following morning. He was arrested without incident.

Detectives interviewed Marlow after the standoff concluded with his 9 a.m. arrest Thursday and found enough evidence to charge him with felony counts of murder and theft, said Gwinnett police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman.

Police said Marlow had outstanding warrants from the U.S. Marshals Office on threats charges and from DeKalb County police, who claim he contributed to the delinquency of a minor.

A police report filed Feb. 11 says Rabold told police the murder suspect stole her 1997 Saturn SC1. She said the couple was planning to move to Knoxville, Tenn., to "escape from (Marlow's) troubled past" before the incident.

Rabold reported Marlow had been living at her home and had stolen other items from the residence.

Friends say Marlow and Rabold shared a rocky, abusive relationship while together.

Clint Pritchard, 22, said he knew the couple and was good friends with Rabold and had talked with her just two days before her body was found.

"She was at my house (Feb. 12) and said 'I'm trying to get rid of this junky boyfriend and I'm moving to Tennessee,'" Pritchard said.

Marlow remains at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond and has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Thursday.