Tuesday, February 19, 2008
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
TUCKER - An Atlanta police officer and his wife's home was damaged by flames early Sunday morning, authorities said.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on Fire Fly Drive in Tucker shortly before 5 a.m., finding flames coming from both floors of the home.
The couple was able to escape without injuries and was already outside when the Fire Department arrived.
Fire crews entered the home but were forced out moments later due to heavy fire and live ammunition discharging inside the home.
Fire officials said ammunition from the officer's utility belt and service weapon were discharging inside the home due to the intense heat and flames.
Firefighters tackled the flames from outside the home and had the fire knocked down less than an hour after they arrived on scene.
Officials said the fire appears accidental and may have been sparked by an electrical line.
The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the officer and his wife.