Checkered past trails suspect in murder case

NORCROSS - More than one police agency had their eye out for Shannon Alan Marlow.

The 33-year-old Tucker man is charged with the murder of his live-in girlfriend - identified in a police report as Patricia Rabold, 47, of Norcross - with whom friends say he shared a rocky, abusive relationship.

But Marlow was a wanted man before the 12-hour standoff with a Gwinnett SWAT team Friday - a melee ignited when police found the woman's body in her home, where Marlow barricaded himself in an attic.

Police said Marlow had outstanding warrants from the U.S. Marshals Office on threats charges and from DeKalb County police, who claim he contributed to the delinquency of a minor.

Detectives interviewed Marlow after the standoff concluded with his 9 a.m. arrest Friday. They found enough evidence to charge him with felony counts of murder and theft, said Gwinnett police spokeswoman Cpl. Illana Spellman.

He remains at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.

Officials with Gwinnett police and the Medical Examiner's Office declined to say Saturday how Rabold was killed.

The standoff paralyzed a normally quiet subdivision off Beaver Ruin Road for much of Friday morning.

It wasn't the first ruckus reported at Rabold's Edgemoor Drive residence last week.

A police report filed Monday says Rabold told police the murder suspect stole her 1997 Saturn SC1. She said the couple was planning to move to Knoxville, Tenn., to "escape from (Marlow's) troubled past" before the incident.

The woman reported Marlow had been living at her home and had stolen other items from the residence.

Then, at about 10 p.m. Thursday, an anonymous caller tipped off police that a wanted man was staying at Rabold's home, police said.

Police entered the home to find the deceased woman but didn't make contact with Marlowe at that time, authorities said. They locked down the neighborhood as SWAT teams arrived.

SWAT officers found Marlow - who didn't appear to be armed - inside the home's attic the following morning. He was arrested without incident.

A neighbor said the suspect, nicknamed "Buzz," was notoriously abusive toward Rabold. A few days prior to her death, the woman expressed her desire to ditch "this junky boyfriend" and uproot to Tennessee, the family friend said.