Sunday, December 21, 2008
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
ATLANTA - Federal investigators were working through the weekend to start determining what caused a pedestrian bridge being built high above an Atlanta park to collapse, killing one man and leaving 11 other workers hospitalized, seven in intensive care.
Contractors were pouring concrete on the 'canopy walk' at the Atlanta Botanical Garden when it crumbled Friday morning, sending workers hurtling up to 40 feet to the forest below. The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating Saturday, but spokesman Mike Wald said it could take months to determine what happened.
The 30-acre garden, which is adjacent to Atlanta's popular Piedmont Park north of downtown, will stay closed through the weekend out of respect for the workers and their families, according to a statement on the Garden's Web site. It is set to reopen Monday.
Hardin Construction, the contractor for the project, has held meetings about how and if the bridge building would continue, company spokeswoman Barkley Russell said.
Killed in the collapse was 66-year-old Angel Chupin of Marietta, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office. Eighteen men were injured. Of the 16 treated at Grady Memorial Hospital, five had been discharged by midday Saturday. Two others were treated and released at another hospital.
Grady spokeswoman Frankie Smith declined to release the conditions of the 11 still hospitalized, but some had suffered serious head and spinal injuries.