SUWANEE - Eight Gwinnett County principals have been chosen to lead eight new schools opening this summer.
Parkview High principal Charles "Buck" Buchanan and Grayson High principal Keith Chaney have been picked to open Archer High and Mountain View High, respectively, school district officials announced Thursday evening.
Their new appointments are effective Jan. 12, which will allow them to begin hiring staff, meeting with community members and completing myriad tasks associated with opening a new high school, a news release states.
Six other appointments approved Thursday by the Gwinnett County Board of Education, effective July 1, are as follows:
· Dana Pugh, principal of Summerour Middle, will lead Bay Creek Middle, located at 821 Cooper Road in Grayson.
· Wanda Law, principal of Sycamore Elementary, will lead North Gwinnett Middle, located at 160 Peachtree Industrial Blvd. in Sugar Hill.
· Linda Boyd, principal of Snellville Middle, will lead Twin Rivers Middle, located at 2300 Braselton Highway in Buford.
· Donna Ledford, principal of J.C. Magill Elementary, will lead Starling Elementary, located on 1725 Grayson Highway in Grayson.
· Jean Loethen-Payne, principal of Peachtree Elementary, will lead White Oak Elementary, located at 6442 Suwanee Dam Road in Buford.
· Barbara Ergle, principal of Rebecca Minor Elementary, will lead Woodward Mill Elementary, located at 2020 Buford Drive in Lawrenceville.
Also approved Thursday evening was the appointment of Corley Elementary assistant principal Debra Scott to become principal of Kanoheda Elementary, effective today. Principal Terry Watlington is leaving the school district, officials announced.
Scott graduated Thursday from the school system's Quality-Plus Leader Academy, the district's training program for aspiring principals.