Thursday, December 4, 2008
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS - A family of six was displaced Wednesday after a fire apparently started in the chimney chase and spread to the second floor and attic.
Firefighters responded to the home in the 600 block of Pebble Creek just after 7 p.m. to find smoke and flames showing from the roof of the two-story home. The home's occupants were outside when firefighters arrived and no injuries were reported.
The blaze was quickly extinguished, Gwinnett Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said, but not before it moderately damaged the chimney chase, two upstairs bedrooms and the attic.
The family said they had a fire burning in the fireplace for warmth. They did not request assistance from the Red Cross and are staying with family members, Rutledge said.
Rutledge said all home heating sources such as fireplaces, furnaces and wood stoves, should be serviced and maintained by qualified technicians annually.